Single & Multi CDN¶
- The Single CDN icon is an outlined circle, and it can have either Active, or Processing status.
- The Multi CDN Status icon is a filled circle, and it can have either Active, or Processing status.
- DNS - Generic Single CDN or Multi CDN vhost
MSS - Mid Stream Switching vhost. This type of vhost is always a Multi CDN. It allows our system to evaluate the performance of each CDN in the mix and serve video content to the user from the highest quality available.
This service uses our SDK, therefore the Edge Intelligence Service will be activated with it.
OVP - integrated online video platform single/multi cdn vhost
OVP vhost Troubleshooting
- If you create a LIVE event and you want to use a specific vhost for that, you need to create the vhost BEFORE the live event starts. If you don't configure the vhost beforehand, it will not be used to serve the live event.
- In case you have several OVP type vhosts to serve both of your content types (LIVE and VOD), the system will use the newest vhost to complete the task.
Go to the + CREATE NEW button to the right.
The modal Create Vhost opens.
Fill in the necessary information:
- A Name for your own '.s73cdn.net' CNAME (if you put a name example, the platform creates example.s73cdn.net)
- Fill in the Origin of your content (please include http:// or https:// in the link)
- Add a Monitor path to a very small file on your origin for monitoring purposes (e.g. /test_asset.txt, we'll monitor this file for you)
- You can also add an Alias, e.g. cdn.example.com
- You can select if you want SINGLE CDN, DNS STEERING or HTTPS STEERING and pick your provider/s. Keep in mind, that once you select the type of account in this control, changes are limited afterwards.
- Click on the CREATE button at the end.
There are a few parameters that you can either edit yourself or ask us to do it for you.
If you need to change the NAME of your VHOST, please contact Support.
If you need to update the ORIGIN URL, please contact Support.
In case you have a DNS or MSS vhost, you can edit this value as you wish.
In case you have an OVP vhost, this value is created automatically for you, and you won't need to bother.
You can add only one alias before clicking on the SAVE button. You cannot edit nor delete existing aliases. Even if you can click on the input and remove one, keep in mind, this task is impossible to complete, and no changes will be saved.
In case you have created a SINGLE CDN VHOST, you are not allowed to change the Provider later.
In case you have created a MULTI CDN VHOST, you can edit the Provider CDN MIX afterward.
You can verify if the setup of your vhost is running properly on all regions using the validation tool following the Validate link either from:
- the top toolbar
- the Actions button in each row of the table (selecting the specific vhost)
The validation screen¶
Once you open the validation screen you will have to select the vhost, alias, and the specific file to monitor if everything is working smoothly. Once you have selected all the previous data you will have to click on the VALIDATE button.
After a few seconds the whole screen will start to populate with data obtained from the different regions.
You can retrieve the following information per region, per CDN:
- the call's status codes
- the response time
- all of the response headers
What is compression?
Compression is the process of reducing file sizes, through a method that utilizes the advantage that many files have long sequences of data that are the same. The algorithms used by gzip are complex and utilize numerous statistical quirks to achieve the highest compression level. Gzip compression makes files smaller, thus reduces the amount of time and bandwidth required to transfer a resource from a server to a browser.
By default GZIP compression is ON.
Enabling this option will optimise the loadbalancer for large file delivery. The loadbalancer decisioning engine is being fed performance data on latency and throughput. When Large file delivery is enabled, the loadblancer will choose the CDN with the highest throughput.
How do you disable / enable GZIP and Large Files?¶
To accomplish that, you need to select / deselect the property checkbox and click on the SAVE button afterwards.
A query string is a part of a URL that assigns values to specific parameters.
When a web server receives a request for such a page, it passes the query string
name=ferret to the program.
CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) use a cache key as an index entry to identify any object in the cache. You can customize the cache keys by specifying whether to use a query string or not in any incoming request to differentiate objects.
This property is applied by default.
Switch to Multi/Single CDN¶
When you create a new VHOST, you need to select if you want it to be a Single CDN or a Multi CDN type. You can change your mind later and switch to the other type, using the following link.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind.
- When you switch from Single to Multi CDN, you are essentially turning on all of the available CDNs for your account. If you want to turn off one/more of them, you can go to Change Mix in the edit screen and select or deselect the CDNs.
- When you switch from Multi to Single CDN, you are prompted to select which one of all of your available CDNs you want to keep as a primary service.
Delete a VHOST¶
To make sure you are deleting the correct VHOST you will be asked to retype the full Domain name in the Delete Confirmation Dialogue.